Thinking About Art Paste?


School Smart Art Paste


I have always used flour and water paste for paper mache projects.  I like that it dries very solid and the kids really enjoy mixing it after I show them how.  It does have drawbacks.  The biggest being that it has to be used quickly and it can be rather difficult to clean up.
School Smart Art Paste is a methyl cellulose art paste for paper mache, collage and decoupage.  Everyone I talked to had different opinions regarding Art Paste, so I decided to try it myself.  Here is what I discovered.



The Pros


  • Easy to clean up
  • One small box makes a gallon of paste.
  • Long lasting – can store without turning sour
  • Dries clear

The Cons

  • Not are strong as flour paste, but does hold

  • Doesn’t always mix completely – lumps form during mixing process – this could be from mixing by hand.

  • Has a slight odor

I will use School Smart Art Paste again mainly due to the ability to store the paste without worry of spoiling and easy clean up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment